Friday, February 22, 2008

Re-rewriting the books

Quite a day in University of Oklahoma athletic history! And, much like the post just a couple down, indeed what happened today is relevant to only what happened yesterday.

For one, the 8 games that the OU football team won in 2005? The games that the team walked off of the field having achieved victory, as was reported by SportsCenter and newspapers and the interweb as being Oklahoma victories? Yeah, those -- the wins that were later "vacated" after a couple morons on the team got caught taking money that they hadn't earned? Well it turns out they're wins again. What do you say about that kind of mad action? I wonder if Vegas bookies have contingencies for these things. Imagine the guy who bet the house on OU over UO in the Holiday Bowl, won, and took a sweet European vacation with his newfound windfall. Then come NCAA sanctions a couple years later and "officially" then OU did NOT beat UO after all. Of course, our newly cultured friend can't pay up -- the dollars that he'd won have long been converted to Euros and shot into his arm in Amsterdam. So he gets a couple fingers chopped off and his house is torched in the middle of the night. Hey -- that's why they call it gambling, no? Anyway -- suddenly his horse came through after all after all -- but what about those fingers? Do bookies keep them in milk so that they can be lovingly re-attached should such an unforeseen circumstance arise? I doubt it -- these plot twists really are fairly un-foreseeable.

Anyway, in other news that happens to relate to continuing sagas of OU athletic black-eyes, their last basketball coach -- the one who had the program put on probation etc. due to his recruiting violations and then bolted like HE was the one who had been put in a bad spot -- was bought out toady as coach of IU after being investigated for the exact same thing that he did at OU. You'd think somebody who was essentially a teacher would learn faster than that, wouldn't you? Anyway -- how does he get caught cheating twice within two years and wind up in a great spot both times? First he bolts OU for the tradition-rich basketball-crazed Hoosier job, then he takes a $750,000 buyout as a punishment? Seriously now, I realize that his earning potential and reputation and all that are severely damaged, but I should be so lucky, right? If that's having the hammer dropped then line me up and call me nail any day. Ridiculous.

5 comments:

jered said...

Dear Mr. Tieszen,

We agree.

Signed,
Mike Shula and Rich Rodriguez

Kathy said...

Hey Ross, I can't comment on sports because I don't know much about it. But just thought I'd let you know (if you didn't already) APFP is supposed to play in your area this week, the 28th.

Ross said...

Jered -- call me ignorant, but I don't get it. RR left on his own, right? And Mike Shula I guess I'm really not sure about. Was he at Alabama? I don't remember the details of his departure. Nice "jungle" esque comment, though!

Kathy -- oh heck yes. I moved my work schedule for the show, and half about a half dozen fellas from church going along too. Half metal show, half social event really, which is great because it means I won't be the oldest dude there!

jered said...

Ross,

They are a couple different cases, actually. Rich left with a huge bonus in hand. Rumors suggested that WVU may sue him. Not sure where that one stands.

Shula, yes, was bought out of a huge contract at Alabama. Millions.

I am in the wrong line of work.

Kathy said...

Well, have fun at the show! I hope you get to meet Aaron.