Friday, March 14, 2008

I'm Not Even Sure I'm a Mile Wide, Really

I'm not all that introspective (do you READ this blog?!?!?), but I had a bit of a self-realization the other day. No, I didn't suddenly come to realize that my true calling was in clogging or cat juggling (honestly, I can't even juggle guinea pigs) or anything crazy like that, and truthfully it wasn't even something positive. I realized that I'm shallow.

There, I said it. I'm shallow.

Now before we all go get a kink in our hose about this, let's take care of what it does NOT mean.

1) It does NOT mean that I don't care about people. I really, genuinely, honestly do. I care a lot, about a lot of people.

2) It's not the same as being superficial. I don't care what people look like, dress like (honestly, one of my best friends wears vests and thinks they're awesome . . .), where they've come from, how much money they make, whatever. None of that crap means anything to me. If you're poor and ugly but laugh at my jokes, I'll like you just fine (if you're thinking "Oh good -- that's me!" . . . wow that's tragic but there are SO many jokes there . . .).

3) It doesn't mean that I can't or don't think deep thoughts. It's not the same as being stupid.

What DOES it mean, then? Basically this, I think -- I don't want to watch a movie that "really makes you think." I'd rather talk about sports than "world events" (the Olympics, by the way, fall into the "world events" category -- see here). I desperately want you to see the same beauty, truth, and freedom in Jesus Christ that I do, but I don't want to "enter into a dialogue that seeks to promote some yada yada whatever". There are jokes to be made and metal to be listened to, and chili dogs don't eat themselves. But do you know what provided the ultimate verification of my self-diagnosed shallow-ness? It really doesn't bother me.

So if you want something deep, click here or here. Note how their blogs aren't team color-themed and they seem to have something to say. Me? I'll probably continue with sports, metal, occasional church stuff, and lots of jokes you don't get. You see, that doesn't bother me either . . . .

5 comments:

Charles said...

So what are you REALLY saying here?

Kathy said...

I can relate to shallow people. They're right on my level.

Ross said...

Charles -- uh . . . I don't know? Nothing more than the surface, really!

Kathy -- ha ha! You're kind of deep-ish sometimes, I almost linked you as a "deep" blog!

Anonymous said...

Wow I made it into the top 2 deep blogs!! Hmmm........maybe I ought to laugh a little more!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.