Sunday, October 28, 2007

Set Those Armageddon Clocks BACK, Everybody!

I work in a dvd by-mail rental distribution center (read: warehouse). A lot of . . . um . . . "questionable" films pass through my hands each day, and I remember how shocked I used to be at some of the viewing decisions that some of you are making. On Friday, though, I came across something that really made me feel BETTER about the state of our movie-watching culture. It was an animated title that I wasn't familiar with, but it had a disclaimer printed right on the disc itself that read as follows (emphasis mine):

"WARNING: Contains nudity and adult situations. May not be suitable for viewers under 18 years of age. Parental discretion advised. All characters depicted in sexual conduct or in the nude are aged 19 years or older. No actual or identifiable minor was used in the creation of any character depicted herein."

"That's nice" I thought to myself, "because if we were watching underage cartoon people doing . . . um . . . 'stuff', well then THAT might be just weird. But since I now know that all the drawings are of characters of 'legal age' there's clearly no need for concern!"

Right . . . .

14 comments:

Luwinkle said...

Clocks don't go back till next sunday. Thought I should share.

And man..don't even GET me started on some of the vids I've seen pass through that place, a couple of them weren't even Blockbuster's!

jered said...

Hey, who said that selling greasy deep-fried burritos in west Redding didn't lead to success?!

Ross said...

Nick . . . Pinocchio?

Jered -- I'm sure that's funny but I don't quite get it. Mike Littau had a fryer, are you getting us confused?

Luwinkle said...

Ross..that took me a minute to remember that one.

What was even more unsettling was a certain person's comment on the picture on the DVD.."Ohh, so THAT'S what he uses!" referring to his nose. I think you know who I'm talking about, it's not difficult to figure out.

Ross said...

Actually Nick, I'm not sure who you would mean. Asst Man, perhaps? Our old Mormon friend? Others . . . . I'm a terrible guesser.

jered said...

Ross ... I meant the Chevron on Placer.

And are you nablopomo-ing?

Ross said...

Ha ha ha -- Zippy Foot Mart! YES! I pretty much completely forgot about that. I DID deep-fry burritos at 3 am one semester, didn't I!

So NOW here's what's bothering me -- if I can hardly remember that, why would you?

jered said...

The only thing I can think of is that I came by there a time or two. It was convenient because the 7-11 was practically across the street. I think that evening involved a couple deep-fried treats, a visit with Ross, and a 44-ounce Slurpee.

"Boys," I said raising my cup, "it doesn't get any better than this."

Luwinkle said...

Ross..she's small...skinny...covered in tattoos/piercings...you performed the wedding...do I need to get more specific?

Ross said...

Jered -- Why don't I remember you coming in? I must have been drunk on Mountain Dew and day-old doughnuts.

Nick -- Gotcha. Makes perfect sense now, sorry I'm dense!

jered said...

Ross, I'm going to do your readers across this great land the courtesy of translating your message to me in your last comment:

You said:Why don't I remember you coming in? I must have been drunk on Mountain Dew and day-old doughnuts.

Someone in the greater Vermillion area would say: Oh, go on now! You were in there, eh? I must have been drunk on HyVee Grape Soda and day-old longjohns.

And from my adopted state of Texas: All y'all were in there? I must have been drunk on Big Red Soda and day-old kolaches.

Ross said...

Mmmmm, day-old longjohns. You are truly multi-cultural, my friend.

Luwinkle said...

It must be the fact that I'm still awake at 6:50am..but that made me laugh.

Infact, that made me 'lol'.

Term papers said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.