Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thoughts On Surviving

So the current series of Survivor just premiered, and offers appropriate (read: meaningless) blog fodder.

The girl who got voted out tossed around a popular catch-phrase at one point by describing herself as "not afraid to speak my mind." This often goes hand-in-hand with it's sisters, "I have the right to voice my opinion," "I'll say what I want to say," and the ever-popular "I gave him/her/them a piece of my mind!"

Sure, you DO have the right to voice your opinion. And being "not afraid" to say what legitimately needs to be said can surely be necessary at times. But before you do, consider that we also have a right dislike you for it, and there's a very good chance that although you might like to think (and tell us) that it makes you "a strong person who others might be intimidated by" or some such, it's more likely that we don't want to hear it and you're just obnoxious to be around. There's also something to be said for tact and restraint, considering the other point of view, and living at peace with everybody as much as depends on you (as Paul would say).

In other words, remember Carolina.

No comments: