Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Giving Up Lent?

So it's that time of the year again when good Catholics and thoughtful Protestants give up something (sort of) dear to them for Lent. It's kind of beautiful, I've always thought. Voluntarily giving up something that we (a little bit, anyway) love in thankfulness and dedication to the one who gave up far more for us.

Here's the thought I had today, though. How does this come off from Jesus' perspective? I'm sure that he appreciates the sentiment and all that. I think he's pretty good about motives and stuff like that. But is he really honored by people self-imposing sacrifices on themselves? Really, didn't he come so that our lives would improve and so we would NOT have to make sacrifices OT style? I know Lent isn't an OT thing, and I'm not even necessarily against it here, but I'm thinking it's a little ironic. If you couldn't pay your electric bill and I hit it for you, would I then be honored if you didn't use any from 8-10 each night to remember how I hooked you up? NO!!! I'd say "Hit the flippin' lights and microwave a burrito -- that's why I payed your bill for you!"

Again, I really do appreciate the sentiment and have always respected those (especially Protestants, who didn't "have to") who participated. I'm just thinking thoughts and asking questions, that's all. I know, I hate it when people think thoughts and ask questions about my life, too. Fair enough.

1 comment:

Luwinkle said...

The question I has is..how many generally want to make the sacrifice..and how many do it because they feel they HAVE to do it yet don't really want to?