Monday, May 12, 2008

A Slumpbuster Going Into the Offseason

So it's been a loooong time for "Flogging . . .". So long that people noticed. Wow! Here's the question, though -- did my (in my proud papa's mind, at least) strong post before the layoff help at all? I can't see how it would have, which leads me to today's post.

It's halftime of the C's/Cavs game 4, and the announcers (I don't have cable, can't go out for EVERY playoff game [I'm hoping for quite a few more] so I'm listening to a radio feed on-line) mentioned something that I can't help but think is probably THE single-most over-rated thing is sports -- momentum going into the locker room.

Really -- when the teams return for the second half in twenty minutes or whatever, having taken some time to regroup, collect themselves, shoot-around, and re-calibrate generally, who's going to be thinking "Golly, I'm sure glad we were feeling better 20 minutes ago!"

Doesn't halftime kind of kill any sense of momentum, even in the most outrageous of playoff atmospheres? For real now, isn't "momentum going into halftime" kind of like getting really, REALLY wet before toweling off? Could anything mean less?

In fairness, there are other contenders for the crown that represents the pinnacle of meaninglessness in sports. Shots on goal in hockey (only the ones that go in count, right?). 40 times of offensive linemen. Soccer. But even these are at least tangible. Momentum isn't tangible, but we all know it exists . . . but we also know that if a time out can dampen it, halftime stomps it's lifeless corpse into an impotent, unrecognizable husk.


You know what's NOT under-rated, though? Clever endings to blog entries. And I don't have one.

No comments: