Saturday, May 31, 2008

If the Blog's Bad, Just Don't Read!

I've said it repeatedly, but I don't blame you if you don't believe me. This is NOT a sports blog. But sports are a big part of my life, and therefore a big part of the blog. And besides, somethings just can NOT be ignored. So as we eagerly await to hear from Buzz, I feel compelled to address some recent NBA happenings, and while the C's moving into an epic NBA Finals against the Great Big Pacific Salt-Water Body of Water Hundreds of Miles South of Tahoe Lakers is big news, you either already know or don't care. The REAL blog-worthy story is this -- the league announced that starting next year, players are going to be fined for falling down without being pushed.

It's amazing how often I'm watching sports (usually the Lions, really) and I find myself screaming at "my" players "FALL DOWN LESS!!!" as my guys stumble over hash-marks and watch helplessly from the turf as the opposing player carries the ball past them. You see, in sports, falling down very rarely provides an unfair competitive advantage. I've listened to a lot of post-game interviews, and never have I heard a coach or player explain the outcome with anything like "Well, I think the key to the win today was the way we were able stay off our feet. Whenever there was any contact at all, we just hit the deck and it really paid off in the end." I've never read somebody talk about practice or mini-camp and say "Today we just worked mostly on fundamentals, some conditioning, and trying to fall down more." What's next here -- will there be fouls called for failing to contest lay-ups and dunks? Will players be suspended for missing free-throws? Will there be a "three strikes and you're out" (baseball analogy, I know) rule against being beaten off the dribble by a slow white power forward?

Look, I get why they're doing it. Flopping's ridiculous and shameful, but how can you fine a player for choosing to put himself at a competitive disadvantage? I know it's hard and all, but isn't the real answer to just officiate properly? If a dude falls and isn't fouled, just let him fall! This ain't exactly spur-science here, right? But in the middle of the most horrifically officiated playoffs in memory -- and this is with the mole ref OUT of the league, remember -- the answer is apparently to fine players for attempting to take advantage of inept refs. Unbelievable.

No comments: