Saturday, September 1, 2007

Uh, Got Any Gum?

I have no deep thoughts today.

Even worse, I have no comedy.

What I DO have, then, are just a couple random tidbits to make myself feel like I'm maintaining some sort of blogging presence:

As I said, I have no comedy today, but this guy has comedy like I could only dream of. I just recently discovered this, and I have just two words: man crush. A couple of my favorites are here and the bottom one here (Daniel Henderson on this last one, anybody?).

Whigham's just started putting video up on his blog, and it's both entertaining and disturbing. Pop on over and get to know him better . . . maybe better than you wanted!

The back-to-back Buzz Goertzen blogs? By FAR the two most-trafficked days that Flogging, But with a "B" has ever seen. I'm not sure what that says about you, but I'm sure that it says something.

Finally, Michigan has just been toppled by Appalachian State. And I guess I have just a couple quick thoughts:

1) College football is BACK, baby! Wohoo!

2) Appalachian State over Michigan? In Michigan? With a veteran quarterback, even? I'd love to sit her and write "I KNEW it was going to happen!" but I can't say that I EVER could have seen that coming. Just wow.

3) Does that mean that, in theory, OU could lose to North Texas tonight? They ARE the Mean Green, after all. I mean seriously, if they were just "Green" that's no problem. But they have chosen to specifically modify "Green" with the adjective "Mean." Now I don't know exactly how a color can be endowed with personality characteristics, but North Texas IS an institution of higher learning, and I can only assume that they're fully aware of whatever implications might be involved with having "Mean" Green as opposed to the ordinary, garden variety green. Anyway, we have a red-shirt freshman at quarterback and were ranked a bit behind Michigan in the pre-season polls, so are we, in theory, more vulnerable than they were? Is it time to worry for real?

4) North Texas has no chance, however mean they might like to consider themselves (or their green). You probably didn't read it here first, but you read it here, anyway.

5) Just by going over the box score for the Michigan/Appalachian State game, they've demonstrated one more time why I think it's stupid to go for two until *very* late in a ball game. Michigan scored late in the 3rd quarter, went for 2 (to get within three, but with a FULL quarter to play!), and failed. They scored again late in the 4th quarter, went for 2 (now to go UP by three), and failed. Then the apparently completely unforeseeable happened and Appalachian State defied all mathematical probability by *kicking a field goal?* to go up by two and win. If Michigan just doesn't jump the gun and kicks the PAT in the THIRD QUARTER, they then no doubt kick another in the 4th, and play into overtime. Do coaches not watch football? It seems like this happens to somebody every single week. *Sigh*.

No comments: