Friday, September 7, 2007

As the Seasons Change . . .

If you're an observant type, you've already noticed. The colors are changing . . . no, not the leaves yet, but the colors on Flogging, But With a "B".

Here's the deal -- I'm tentatively giving up on the '07 Phillies. They pulled me back in -- hard -- with a 4 game sweep of the Mets, but then they went and gave away back-to-back series's against the Marlins and Braves, in true implosive fashion, and I'm just not seeing it. The previous color scheme, then (which, if you never picked up, was completely Phillies-driven) has been replaced by the sparkling Honolulu Blue of the Detroit Lions! In other words, it's flipped over to football season on my calender.


In roughly 14 1/2 hours, my Oklahoma Sooners kick off against the hated Miami Hurricanes. I can't wait. I'm actually more excited about OU than the Lions right now, which is weird for me because I'm a much more devoted Lions fan and would chose a Lions Super Bowl over another Sooner National Championship anyday. It's just that by about week six I expect the Lions will be nearing mathematic elimination for the playoffs, and OU should still be looking at a strong season, so I'll be able to switch from Lions colors to Sooner colors, but not the other way around. If my Lions prove me wrong, all the better!

8 comments:

jered said...

Three words:

Hook 'em Horns.

CW said...

Two words: Fair Weathered. C'mon, my friend...anything can happen. believe in the Phillie magic. Phillie fever...Catch it!

Ross said...

Jered --

Good to hear from you buddy (this sentence I actually mean!). I didn't know that saxet players were being arrested for prostitution as well, but I suppose it would hardly even qualify as news anymore, so fair enough. Nice win against Arkansas State last week, by the way, you passed a real gut-check when that official blew the call on the on-side kick that would have given ARKANSAS STATE (!!!) a chance to take you into overtime. So that must feel good.

Whigham -- if I'm a fair weather fan, then you're using correct capitalization.

Anybody else reading this -- you want to talk smack? Huh, do you? Let's go punk . . . .

(And this is where I'd put in a keyboard smiley thing if I didn't think they were completely lame.)

Luwinkle said...

I'll do it for you:
":)"
or would you rather prefer ":P"?

Ross said...

Thanks for having my virtual back . . . but I'm proud to say that I don't really know the difference!

How about that OU/Miami "game", by the way? BOOOOOOOMER!

jered said...

Ross, I think the coolest thing in the world would be for us to meet at the Cotton Bowl on Saturday afternoon, October 6. Rivalry, schmivalry. This is the SHOOTOUT!

Ross said...

Ha ha, no -- I'd MUCH rather meet you sometime where we could be friends again!

Although, honestly, I don't hate Texas like I "should" -- I'm from SE South Dakota, so my most virulent hatred is reserved for Nebraska. Still though, on RRSO day, Texas is the ONLY enemy!

jered said...

Two and a half games back now. Are you still throwing in the towel?

The Cubbie in me is having a really hard time right now. I thought you should know.