Sunday, September 16, 2007

Can You Root for BYU AND Utah?

So I got a call from a buddy Saturday night, and he's having a pretty tough time in his marriage right now. He's a Notre Dame fan, you see. Of course they've had a lot of good years together, but right now times are trying like he just never thought possible. She stays out all night, treats him like garbage, and has become hideously ugly. No two ways, it's not a good situation right now. They're married, though, and so it was still a little bit tough to hear when he asked me "Am I a terrible person if I consider changing teams?"

Of course, I had several thoughts. First of all, I was glad that he called me. There are only too many people out there who would have given him the easy pass and said something stupid like, "You have to do what's right for you!", "There's no sense in being trapped in a love-less relationship!" or "If you're not getting what you need out of the relationship, then I don't see any reason to continue it." This is America, after all, and we've grown all too accustomed to taking the easy way in lieu of the right way. Second, I told him "no." It didn't make him a terrible person for considering switching teams . . . but it would most definitely qualify him if he actually did it.

Look -- "real" relationships are complex and messy and factor in a lot of different things. I don't believe in divorce, but I'm not trying to push anybody's buttons regarding their past or whatever. If you've been through a real divorce then I'm guessing that you have plenty of pain and regret and brokenness, and I'm not trying to pile on. Really, this paragraph is completely serious and joke-free. Part of me hesitates to even use the metaphor because of the tragic nature of all that is entailed in the genuine article.

But sports wives? Here I'm not afraid to throw the book at you. There can be no one-night stand, no girl on the side, and no sleazy liaisons at out of the way motels. You're married my friend, and whether or not you knew what you were doing at the time, you have to deal with the situation you're in.

Look, I married early and have had some rough years. I won't go into extravagant detail here, but you can read all about my pain here (oddly enough it's one of my favorites). For now, let's just say that I have one massive Lion painted on my wall for every playoff win that my favorite franchise has recorded since the advent of the Super Bowl. But you know what? She still has my heart, and no number of first-round wide receiver draft picks can change that. Even if my love was to fail, I'm dead to the wiles of the seductress, promising though she may be. It's sports marriage, and there is no going back.

There have been plenty of times when I've made my team sleep on the couch. Ultimately, it's always cold and lonely. There have been even more times when she's looked incredibly hot and I've gotten all excited, only to have her get drunk and pass out in the punch bowl. Once she even had some cosmetic surgery only to have her body ultimately reject the foreign substance and end up in even worse shape.

But you know what? I'm married. That means I'm in for the long haul and doing what I have to do. If that means my buddies make fun of me, I'll take it. If it means having to sneak away for burgers and brats because "we're making an effort to eat better together," then I'll call you when she's left for work. If it means installing a fun-house mirror on the bedroom ceiling, I'll live my illusion and like it. But it does NOT mean that I'm taking a trip to the courthouse, the bar, or the house of ill-repute.

Look, I'm not saying that you can't ever root for another team. In the Super Bowl two years ago, I rooted for the Seahawks because my buddy Craig's a big fan, and I would have been happy for him. When Louisville lost to Kentucky this weekend, I felt genuinely bad for a few friends who are "good" (intelligent, emotionally vested, and non-obnoxious) U of L fans. Hey -- I have some friends with cool wives, and I think that's great. And I wish cool wives for my single buddies, too. I'm for that! But under no circumstance can my buddy's wife come before mine. I can't get too emotionally involved, I can't take a stronger interest in his than in mine, and under no circumstance can I wear an article of her clothing. It just crosses the line.

Maybe if I lived in Utah I'd be able to pick up more teams. I saw a thing on tv about that once, and there were issues but it seemed to work on a certain level. Even then, though, it seems like an awfully big commitment. Sports wives can be high-maintenance if you want to give them the kind of attention they deserve, and the complications would seem endless.

In the end, I can't blame anybody for considering a sports divorce in an emotional moment. Hey -- that's really a tribute to how much you care in a certain sense, right? But at the end of the day, you know to whom your heart belongs.

There once was a dude (actually, maybe twice, but this one in particular for our purposes today) who was a lot wiser than I am, and had a lot more wives. Like a LOT more wives. It's his wisdom and knowledge and experience, then, with which we'll end today's post:

"For the lips of an adulteress drip honey, and her speech is smoother than oil;
But in the end she is bitter as gall, sharp as a double-edged sword.
Her feet do gown to death; her steps lead straight to the grave.
She gives no thought to the way of life;
Her paths are crooked, but she knows it not.
Now then, my sons, listen to me; do not turn aside from what I say.
Keep to a path far from her, do not go near the door of her house,
Lest you give your best strength to others and your years to one who is cruel,
Lest strangers feast on your wealth and your toil enrich another man's house."
-- Solomon, Proverbs 5:3-10, NIV

5 comments:

Luwinkle said...

When I read "Notre Dame fan" I immediately thought of Greg..because he's the only Notre Dame fan I know. Don't know if it he you speak of on here, though.
I was wondering if you had a picture of the giant lion..glad to see you do.
And GOOD U of L fans? There exists such a thing? I don't know the preferred teams of most of the people I know..but for the ones I do...I can think of one..maybe.
Good post though, it's serious in most parts, but really not-serious in other parts. And stuff.

Ross said...

Ok, lot's of stuff there Nick.

Greg IS a good (and hurting) Notre Dame fan, but he didn't call me. I feel strange tossing names out here, but we'll just say that his blog is linked under church staff. Poor guy.

There ARE good U of L fans, mostly present at any Life Pointe service! Again I'll be careful with names, but there are 3 different families whose last name starts with Mc who are all good fans. Our mutual friend from BBOL is also a good fan -- she actually wore her Louisville sweatshirt to LPC on Sunday after that brutal loss -- that's impressive, and I really do feel for all of them. Losing sucks. Losing to your arch-rival REALLY sucks. Losing to your arch-rival and then having to deal with "UK fan"? Oh goodness.

And glad you liked the post . . . but seriously (ha!), the pretty much WHOLE thing is satire except for the bit about trying to be sensitive to real divorces. Not that there isn't plenty of truth buried in the metaphor, but at least for today,it's pretty much just material to play off of. Because, you know, that's how I roll. . . .

Luwinkle said...

Well, I never knew many UofL fans(that I knew were fans, anyway). I did indeed notice the sweatshirt. Since that person doesn't talk to me anymore, not entirely sure if I would use "friend"..but that's another discussion for another time/place.
While I'm not necessarily a big fan on sports, I did get a strange gratifcation when I heard that UK beat UofL.

And on a un-related note: Allergies really, really suck.

Kathy said...

Hi, I just came across your profile because you have A Plea for Purging listed. I did a search and only 5 profiles came up and yours was one. Mine was one also. Hope you don't mind me leaving you a comment here.

Kathy said...

Oh, forgot to ask....how did you find out about A.P.F.P and become a fan of theirs?