Friday, January 25, 2008

I'd Like to Thank the Acadamy . . . .

Wake the kids, call the neighbors. The accolades are beginning to rain down on Flogging, But With a "B" like . . . well, like somewhere that doesn't get much rain. Now I KNOW that this will create a lot of questions for you, and so I'd like to do whatever I can to help you work through these uncertain times.


1) (a) What did you win, and (b) why?

a) Kathy has awarded me (along with Uriah -- that was rough the way that king and your wife did you, bro, condolences for real) the coveted (maybe?) "You Cheer Me Up" award, because (b) I cheer her up (duh!) by listening to, enjoying, and have even occasionally blogging about A Plea for Purging, for which her son contributes loud bang-y noises.


2) What does this mean?

I think it's another evidence that I'm getting WAY to old to listen to metal/hardcore. Seriously, let's look at this -- I'm now relating to and becoming internet "friends" with the parents of band members more than actual band members. Seriously, what's next, the "You make me feel young again" award from Mr. and Mrs. Mick Jagger?


3) Are you parents proud?

Depends -- are they proud about the award? Not particularly. Are they pretty excited that I married someone who makes enough money that I don't have to ask them for cash anymore? Absolutely!


4) Aren't you supposed to pass these things on or something?

I think so. And so, after much deliberation and straw-drawing, I hereby bestow my very first blogging award, the coveted "You Cheer Me Up Award" to Jered. Jered -- you actually write stuff, and plus you came and visited me in South Dakota once. That was pretty cool. But treat her carefully, my friend, because the next thing you know there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I've seen it a hundred times . . . .

8 comments:

jered said...

Ross, I am speechless. I will drum up a well-suited response in due time.

Charles said...

I can remember at least 2 trips to South Dakota for the sole purpose of visiting you (one of which required me to remain motionless in the back of a '79 Oldsmobile sandwiched in between my brother and Marie). As for Jered, I'm sure he was just passing through peddling some college in CA. Whatever.

jered said...

Shame on you, Charles. You don't get nearly as much credit for being part of a coerced family trip. I went off the beaten path (read: I-90) to visit southeastern South Dakota.

It's time for Part II of my Road Trips series. 5,500 miles in 12 days in a 1978 Volvo, covering parts of 16 states and one Canadian province. The pinnacle: a double-header at Wrigley. Many highlights including a speeding ticket in Yankton County and my first visit to a Hy-Vee market on Cherry Street.

Charles said...

My apologies, Jered. The not-getting-the-award wound is still fresh though.

Kathy said...

I love your acceptance speech -- this is great!

Ross said...

Hey Charles -- if it was a "you make me think deep thoughts" award -- you'd be on it. Also, though, I don't know what your last entry was, but my filter now blocks your site. So I'm a little afraid that you blogged about ***, *******, or even the feared ******* with ***** and ***** over by ************ *** against ****. So, clearly, you can see my dilema.

Charles said...

Shoot! For writing on harems I'm blocked? I'll try and clean things up a bit.

Ross said...

Woah, harems? Is it too late to give you the award after all?