Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Where Have I Been?

I've been here. . . mostly. I know it's been a while since I've posted, but there's a perfectly good reason. After the eighteen-month long NBA post-season that culminated in Banner Seventeen I was on an adrenaline high for like a month. And I know it hasn't quite been a month, but still, it was pretty cool. Until I finally came down and realized that it was time to re-order my life in a couple of areas.

I'm always tired, you see, and tired is no way to live your life! So I'd started trying to run, but it was inordinately more difficult then a few years ago. Now I'm not THAT much older yet, so I wondered if it was something different. I sleep well and soundly, so I can't blame apnea, and so now I've taken on taking out caffeine. That's right, I've been working on quitting my one adored addiction.

Now I'm not one to sensationalize (the "adrenaline for a month" bit notwithstanding, of course) -- I'm not a HUGE caffeine junky like some people are. I would typically have about 12 oz. of coffee in the morning and a Dew or a Coke around lunch or mid-afternoon. That was basically every day, and comes out to about 250 mg. Then on days that started early or went long or whatever, though, it could spike considerably above that level, and my daily routine was in need of a boost to maintain mood and energy level already. I didn't want to add MORE, though, I hate the idea of being controlled by a substance, and I've heard people say that they feel and think and work better when they're off the juice, so I decided to take that route.

I'm not there yet, but after about 2 weeks, I'm down to around 60-70 mg a day (that's an 8 oz. cup of "half caff" in the morning, and then no mas!). And it hasn't been too bad! I figure I'm no more than a week or two at the most from being completely de-toxed, at which time I'll find some other excuse for sporadic posting.

5 comments:

jered said...

Welcome back. Congrats on the running. It's taken me awhile to get it in my blood, but I'm glad it is.

Luwinkle said...

Aye, I've fallen back into caffeine, but when I was off of it..and off of soft drinks in general...I had a LOT more energy and was, in general, a lot more alert.

Ross said...

Jered -- yeah, it gets addictive if you let it! But be warned -- the marathon was the stupidest thing I've EVER done (including jumping out of an airplane and moving to Minnesota). Although, even at that, I suppose I'm still glad I did it.

Nick -- yeah, working nights pretty much makes being off caffeine all but impossible. I don't think I could see any way around that one!

Luwinkle said...

You jumped out of an airplane? Hmmmmm

jered said...

I'm least impressed with "moving to Minnesota."