Wednesday, November 14, 2007

TTFN, BBOL!

Flogging, But With a "B" isn't necessarily full of "personal notes", but this one is worthwhile: this Friday the 16th is my last day at Blockbuster Online!

It's not that it's the worst job ever, per se. It doesn't pay much and the work is mindless and repetitive, but it's not necessarily unpleasant, at least when it's not 100+ degrees in the summer. That said, I'm moving on.

Laura got me an interview at the pharmacy in the hospital where she works, and the gig is just ridiculously ideal for my life. It's a PRN position, which means that I quite literally make my own schedule and (more or less) work whatever and as many hours as I decide to . . . and then get paid extra for the convenience. Seriously! As you might guess, the pharm is also climate controlled, which will be a very, VERY big plus come summer, and I'll actually know when my shifts will be ending before I go in.

And to top it off, how about this little gem -- at my job interview, the manager was asking questions about Life Pointe to the point(e) where I just couldn't NOT toss her an invite card (as tacky as that felt at a job interview), which she looked at, chuckled, and then ASKED FOR MORE!!! So while I'm desperate to make sure that everybody at BBOL gets invited out (one more time) before I'm gone for good, there's a whole new network of peeps that I'll get to meet and interact with, and hopefully invest in in a more meaningful way than was possible at the warehouse.

Hey, I met a lot of GREAT people and had some good times at BBOL (and also met some gold-medal losers and had some pretty bad days, but whatever), but it's time to turn the page. Friday is it! And then it's off to what I shall, from this point(e) on, affectionately refer to as "the p-pharm." Wohoo!

10 comments:

Luwinkle said...

Gold-medal losers...I've met some bad people at BBO...but I dunno if I would call any "gold-medal losers". Well...maybe one..but that's a matter of opinion and another story at another time. Unless you're talking about some people that left before I got there and joined after I left.

I also thought about inviting my job interviewer to LifePointe..but it didn't happen.

Ross said...

Under "normal" circumstances I can't suggest inviting job interviewers to church, but it came up because it was on my resume, of course, and she kept asking questions and saying (repeatedly!) "Wow, that really sounds interesting, I might like to come by and check that out sometime" or something to that effect. And I can only hold out and pretend to be professional for so long!

As for the "gold-medal losers" that was mostly just a fun phrase, but (again, with one or two exceptions, surely who you would have either never met or never remember) I mostly mean people who were there for between 10 minutes and 2 days. Weak!!! Although, yeah, there really WERE a couple major jokes who stuck around for a little while, but their stories are for a different day. . . .

Charles said...

I'm a bit concerned - what with your recent identity/yodeling crisis, rage directed towards democracy and the bcs, etc. - with the relative ease in which you may be able to access drugs at the p-pharm.

Sarah said...

Congrats on the new position at the p-pharm. At least we have an insider now...

Luwinkle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ross said...

I just love that you two read enough to "get" the p-pharm bit. It's the kind of thing that makes (my) life worth living!

Luwinkle said...

Sadness.

Anonymous said...

From one "tech" to another....welcome!! I have to admit, I am not cool enough to understand the "P" before the pharm. "A" pharm for Audubon Pharmacy I would get, but, what is up with the "P"? Seriously though, congrats and I hope it turns out to be what you need and are expecting.

Ross said...

It's ok, Terri, I'm not cool enough to use it . . . which is why it's funny.

"P-pharm" (typically spoken more than written) helps distinguish it from the "standard" or "f" farm such as I worked at during summers growing up in South Dakota. The "p" designation is really stolen/adapted from the popular street adjective "phat" -- or, when spoken, "p-phat", so as to be distinguished from "fat" which is often much less flattering to the lady-folk. Or so I "understand".

Kathy said...

Hi Ross, congratulations on your new job. Hope it works out well for you. Thought you might like to visit my blog and look at some pictures I took at a show this past weekend.