Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Faulkner's Head-Banging in His Grave

I know, I know. "Metalcore" is too trendy and so nobody likes it anymore (right, like "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"). Still, I picked up the new As I Lay Dying ("An Ocean Between Us") today, and there's some SMOKE on this puppy!

It's not a perfect album. I wish they didn't use the clean vocals in the chorus of every-other song (if I liked clean vocals I'd buy Whitney Houston or Micheal Bolton or something, right?). I'm not into the lame 1:30 intro track or the "radio friendly" track (again, if I wanted radio friendly, I would have bought Korn or Linkin Park or some other band who's music I like about as much as their grammar and spelling). Also, I'm confused by why there are two album covers (makes about as much sense as when they put a cardboard sleeve around the case with the exact same art as beneath the sleeve . . . why?).

Those aside, however, this is maybe (probably?) the best AILD yet. There's no way around calling it metalcore, but where Shadows Are Security seemed "safe," "proficient," and "professional," this one takes more chances, feels a lot more inspired, and is twice as fun to listen to -- like they said, "hey -- let's make an awesome record!" as opposed to "I guess it's time to make another record". [disclaimer -- I'm not accusing them of putting out a half-mulletted album last time, just relaying my listening experience, cool?]

Let's put it this way -- after a promising carreer in the minors (their Pluto Records stuff), they got called up to the show (Metal Blade) and won rookie of the year (Frail Words Collapse) with a .305, 34, 110 type of season. It seemed like a step back, then, when their sophomore season (Shadows Are Security) was more like .280, 26, 92. Well so far, this one sounds like MVP consideration.

Since I'm on metal, by the way, let me just give an equal (or maybe even higher?) recommendation for the less-heralded, less heard of, and (not coincidentally) core-free, pure metal new Immortal Souls, "Winteriech." Oh my! Facedown is releasing it later this month, but you can buy the "original" Dark Balance version here or here right now. Wohoo!

[Edit -- Facedown actually released the Immortal Souls today, as it turns out. Because I KNOW you were concerned. . . .]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Is this band as good as the book? That'd be pretty hard to top. As for Faulkner head-banging, he did that plenty in his life (I'm sure) due to his tendency to consume large quantities of alcohol. Just thought you should know.

Ross said...

Honestly I'm not sure they'd be right up your ally Nate (although maybe -- they really are very good). Of my current favorites, I'd probably send you to Becoming the Archetype if you don't know of them (I have NO idea where you are in these things these days). They're the link that says "They play very technically and brutally" or something like that under the "Got Metal?" link heading. Wohoo! Seriously, you'll dig it.

jered said...

Ross, you've managed to incorporate triple crown statistics into a discussion about metal.

There is only one person I've ever met who fits that cross-section of interests: H. Ross.

Perhaps you should write about the CD I volunteered to be damaged freshman year when Stephen wanted to show me which side of the CD actually contained the data.

Ross said...

I remember that! It was Vengeance Rising "Once Dead." Copy and paste www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000LWWPW8/ref=sr_1_olp_10/002-7711688-7736808?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1189537902&sr=1-10 to see if you made the right decision . . . .

jered said...

Dag nab. That was a pretty expensive scratch. Think I should sue Stephen?