Saturday, May 19, 2007

Thinking for yourself -- overrated?

This post may not be a very popular way to start out a blog, but so be it. It's not like I have any readers to lose, right?

I had a conversation with a guy this week who spat out a load of various opinions and theories mixed with ample evidence of nearly complete ignorance about that which he spoke. Of course it was all spoken with great confidence and would have sounded great if you didn't know any better, but the dude simply didn't have his readily available facts together. Then he ended with the ever-popular "I like to think for myself." After all, who's ever heard somebody say "I like to let others do my thinking for me"? Not me.

Here's where things that sound great in theory meet with trouble in reality, however. What if I "think for myself" but am wrong? Would it have been better to simply take the word of somebody that knew more than I did? If I try to "think for myself" on starting my car, I won't quickly determine that it will start up if I push in the clutch and turn the key. That makes no sense at all to me! If I try to "think for myself" on blogging, there's NO WAY that I'll determine that you, wherever you are, will be able to read what I type into my computer here in my office. It seems to me to defy the well-established (not by me!) laws of physics. I also think it's hilarious when I go to a hardcore show and the bands always tell people to think for themselves. What if somebody says, "Oh yeah -- that's a good idea -- I'll start doing that." How funny is that!

Obviously these are extreme examples, but hopefully you get the point. Statements that begin with "I don't see why management would . . ." usually reflect a lack of managerial understanding more than a gift for critical thinking. "I can't see a reason why . . ." is more likely evidence that you don't have all the information than a case-closed argument for no reason existing.

Look, I'm ALL about critical thinking. I think it's GREAT to ask good questions and seek understanding. But is it too much to actually ask the questions and find out if legitimate answers exist before we take our half-baked "understanding" and go off to exercise our ability to "think for ourselves"? I don't know . . . what do you think?

3 comments:

Luwinkle said...

I think you made my brain hurt.

Ross said...

I'm just flattered to have you read it, bro!

Luwinkle said...

Awwww... NON-GAY MANHUG. Or something. We still gotta figure out a time to go to applebee's so I can use this blasted card finally.